Friday, September 19, 2008

Let the Usenet Experience Begin!

In class, I was assigned to find and analyze a communication medium on the internet. Some of the choices included examining IRC (Internet Relay Chat), Usenet, andMUDs (Multi-User Dungeons). These are all used to communicate over the internet, but all use different methods. The medium I chose to analyze was Usenet, as it is easier than the others and does not require any program to operate other than an internet browser. On the Usenet server I decided to join the NY Giants group. I subscribed at http://groups.google.com/, and elected to receive one email a day with a summary of what happened on a particular day. For the next five days I will be checking the group and reporting what I see. I saw a lot of posting about the game coming up this week, but I am sure there is much more to come. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days (ie. if people stay on topic, change their views if they win/lose the game, etc.). Until tomorrow, see ya!

No comments: